The San Leonino Farm has been producing wine since the parish church it gets its name from, and to which it belongs, became part of the Lega del Chianti.
The church of San Leonino in Conio (the land attached to the church) is mentioned in several documents, the first of which date from 1043, 1076 and 1077. In those days, it came under the Diocese of Fiesole, but being on the border between Florence, Siena and Volterra, it was constantly being fought over. Although, as well as being attached to the town and situated in a strategic area on a hill where the Staggia stream and the Gena ditch provide water, the farm enjoyed a flourishing economy, as shown by the tithes paid between 1275 and 1300.
At the end of all the territorial conflicts between Florence and Siena, the church finally came under the Florentine state and became one of the strongholds of the Lega del Chianti, as can be seen in the 1384 statute.
In the last 50 years there have been several different owners, up until the arrival of the Angelini family in 1994. The first bottle of Chianti Classico was sold in 1973.
Today, San Leonino spans a total of 100 hectares, 52 of which are vineyards and 6 of olive groves. The farm is in the municipality of Castellina in Chianti, near the small Medieval village which surrounds the Romanesque church of San Leonino.
Their vineyards are situated at different altitudes, between 300 and 430 metres above sea level. They are adjacent to the winery and benefit from a south-eastern /south-western exposure. The vines are all spurred cordon trained.
The Santa Maria vineyard is at a lower altitude and the soil is made up of sand and clay. The vines are on average around 18 years of age. The Gena stream allows vines to thrive in this area.
Bellosguardo on the other hand, the vineyard surrounding the winery, is at an intermediate altitude (350/380 m above sea level) planted galestro and alberese soil.
Lastly, Monsenese is the most historic and highest part of San Leonino. It is a vineyard over 20 years old, with a high planting density on alberese soil.
A total of 52 hectares, all in the historic core of Chianti Classico.