Based in the ancient area of Entiklar, which has been settled since prehistoric times, the Tiefenbrunner estate’s headquarters – the Castel Turmhof - is a stone’s throw from the medieval fortress of Linticlar, a famous wine-producing estate dating back to the 1200s.
Through the centuries, the Linticlar estate has grown in size, changed hands and come to be known as ‘Castel Turmhof’, and so it has been since 1675, when it came to belong to the Tiefenbrunner family.
Hilde and Herbert Tiefenbrunner turned a new page in the winery’s long history in 1968, when they opened a wine outlet at the Castel Turmhof, and began bottling wines produced on the estate for sale in Italy and internationally.
Today, Hilde and Herbert’s son Christof and his wife Sabine run the winery, committed as ever to keeping alive the dedication and high-quality associated with this most-prized of family heirlooms.
The Tiefenbrunner estate is comprised of 25 hectares of vineyards in Entiklar, Kurtatsch and Margreid, sitting between 250 and 1,000 meters above sea-level. Their production is supported by 40 other loyal growers that send grapes from around 40 hectares of vineyards.
The vines grow in a mild climate and high in limestone, slightly clayey soils with an excellent exposition on the west side of the South Tyrolean Unterland.
Their most noteworthy vineyard, situated on the Fennburg 1,000m above sea level, is a 3-hectare site considered to be the highest Müller-Thurgau vineyard in Europe and produces their award-winning Feldmarschall Von Fenner.
Tiefenbrunner is focused on sustainability, generating their own energy for over a century with a hydropower plant built in 1910. A new hydropower facility was built in 2001 with more contemporary technology, carrying on their proud tradition of on-site clean power generation.