Cantina Castelnuovo del Garda, formerly known as ‘Cantina Sociale Veronese di Garda’, is a cooperative that has been operating since 1958. It now unites 250 winegrowers which own on the whole around 1200 hectares of vineyards.
Castelnuovo del Garda was named Quadrivum by the Romans, marking its special geographical position, however, following Barbarossa’s invasion in the 12th century, the population was forced to build a new fortified settlement, Castrum Novum.
The Castelnuovo del Garda estate encompasses around 1200 hectares of vineyards. This includes the hilly area south-east of Lake Garda where most of these vineyards lie in the DOCG areas for Bardolino, Custoza, Lugana and Bardolino Superiore DOCG.
The entire estate is under the municipalities of Castelnuovo del Garda, Sona, San Giorgio in Salici, Palazzolo, Peschiera, Sommacampagna, Colà, Lazise and Bardolino which approximately 13,000,000 kilos of grapes. The soil is of moraine origin which is loose and stony holding a density of up to 4,000/5,000 plants per hectare.