In 1949, Gigi Valle graduated in Oenology, in Conegliano, in the Province of Treviso. By the early 1950’s he began working as oenological consultant in the Buttrio area before he started to purchase grapes for the production of his own wines.
In 1952, the Valle company was born and by 1956 they made their first bottle displaying the Valle label, a white wine blending grape varieties such as Verduzzo, Malvasia, Picolit and Tocai. Their first single variety wines were made from Merlot, Tocai and Picolit. Their wines were mainly sold through the family restaurant.
In the 60’s, the Italian wine market grew rapidly. At the same time, Gigi’s sons Paolo and Marco were born and in the late 60’s, Valle purchased the Bosco Romangno Estate. In 1968 the Collio DOC wine region was established.
By the 1970’s, Valle had started its first international exports to Canada and in 1970, the Colli Orientali dei Friuli DOC was established. In 1974, Cantina Valle moved its headquarters to Buttrio and by the late 70’s, they became the first winery in Friuli to use stainless steel, replacing concrete tanks.
In the 1980’s, Valle focused on the modernisation of its production, making significant investments in new technologies. In the same decade, Paolo and Marco, Gigi Valle’s sons, gradually took over the day-to-day running of the company.
Since then, Paolo has cemented his philosophy on the company. His idea was to obtain wines from healthy, low-yield grapes using indigenous yeast fermentations.
Cantina Valle’s vineyards are spread across the Friuli Colli Orientali DOC hills, an area encompassing around 2000 vineyards. This appellation has always been recognised as one of highest quality in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region.
The cellar, Manzano and Premariaccio vineyards grow: Pinot Grigio, Friulano, Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Ribolla Giallo, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Refosco and Glera.
Their Rosazzo vineyard produces grape varieties: Fiulano, Sauvignon, Cabernet Sauvignon, Refosco, Ribolla Giallo